Search This Blog

Friday, June 3, 2011

Windows 8 a sophisticated iOS?

Windows 8 demo interface
I was quite shocked when I saw the above image.  It represents the newly designed UI for the just announced Windows 8.  Based on the video released, which features the new interface along with the traditional interface for older apps, it seems Microsoft is making a big bet on touch being the technology of the future. 

The thing most surprising to me was how much comparison you could make between this and similar operating systems on Apple's mobile prospects.  The icons, while bigger are similar.  The technology is different, yes.  The icons will change to show whatever website or document you're working on, a cool feature.  The snapping features begun in Windows 7 look great in a touch interface.  However, Microsoft may still have a fight on its hands. 

They are going to have to market this thing like crazy.  Much like Windows has owned the climate among PCs for businesses and most people outside graphic artists and film editors until recently, Apple's devices have a firm hold on the market for touch-based interfaces.  Regardless of how different-and sometimes superior-Windows Phone may be in terms of its features, I don't think anyone would argue the point that it hasn't attained the prime real estate in the minds of consumers that is enjoyed by the iCompany (getting tired of constantly writing Apple).

In addition, I question the point of upgrading to Windows 8 for those dead set on sticking to the traditional Windows interface, as Microsoft has already described this is a straight port of Windows 7.  There will  presumably be no significant performance upgrades because Microsoft has said  Windows 8 will be able to run on any machine currently compatible with 7.

Now it could be that this will lead to a blurring of the lines with the two companies next-generation offerings similar to what has happened in the current generation.  In case you haven't noticed, I would make the argument that Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on the Mac side are not as different interface wise as the companies might like you to believe. 

I guess I'm just thinking out loud.  On another note, I miss my goal of posting daily already.  Life intervenes.  I may do a blitz on the weekends in order to make up for days I miss.  I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment